Monday, August 20, 2007

The Humanity

Some days I don't feel too good about humanity. I feel like most people I know, and everyone I don't know are judgmental fuckatoos who won't cut anyone else any slack. I feel like we're a warped society, manipulated and brainwashed into the idea that image and "cool" are everything, or contorted into the idea that we have to reject those things and so does everyone else or they are just "mundanes." Either way it's a hell of a lot of judging, condemning, smack talking, and general asshattery. I hope you pardon the language in this post but I'm just about at the end of my rope here.

People are cruel, and it's worse than seventh grade. I'm not the victim of this because I manage to straddle enough people's "cool" lines to get by fine, but I certainly see it often enough, and hear it out of my own mouth a lot of times, and those of my friends, who are really good people yet we all feel compelled to judge and critique each other into the ground (not face to face, of course). In talking to my mom, who's in her mid-50s, this is also how her friendships operate. I don't need to talk to my 16-year-old cousin, who got flamed online for being "ugly" and having the audacity to have a girlfriend who loves him, to know it happens in that age group. My point is not that some people are judgmental. My point is that it's systemic across society. I don't know when it happened or what to do about it, so I probably need to stop paying attention for awhile or I'll make myself into as much of a crank as the type of people I'm (you guessed it) kvetching about right now.

Here's what it has to do with simplicity. One of my mantras is: "It's not too late for a little bit of clean living." And it's not.

2 comments:

story girl said...

This is going to sound lame probably, and not all that helpful when you're in a state of this much righteous and deserved rage, but the answer is to love them. Love the victims, love the bullies.

I teach high school, and believe me I will LAY INTO anyone who says something mean or hurtful, but at the same time you have to wonder where kids learn it. Sometimes they're just sad and scared and don't know what to do, so they lash out. Not acceptible but understandable.

I don't know what the long term answer is, and I understand about ducking the hate by staying just under the "cool" radar, but try to stay positive. Clean living should mean hope, too, should mean less anger. It can eat you alive if you let it.

tk said...

Thank you for the comment -- you're absolutely right, compassion is key. I don't know what prompted me to write such a diatribe in my domesticity/simplicity blog except I was seeing the selfishness, self-absorption, consumer mania as all the same thing. I've calmed down some now :)